Are dried fruits good for your health?
There is different and sometimes contradictory information about dried fruit and the nutritional value of dried fruit. Some people think that it is a nutritious and healthy snack. But others mistakenly consider it similar to another snack, such as candy. So, in this article, we are trying to provide you with important information about the nutritional value of fruit chips and dried fruit. By knowing this information, you will have a clearer view of the consumption of this valuable food and the important reasons for turning to it.
Nutritional value of dried fruit
Fruit pieces or dried fruits are very nutritious and rich in nutrients, fiber and antioxidants. Dried fruit usually has the same amount of nutrients as fresh fruit, but at a much lower weight and volume.
By weight, dried fruit pieces have 3.5 times more fiber, vitamins and minerals than fresh fruit. A single serving of dried fruit can provide a large percentage of the body’s daily needs for many vitamins and minerals, such as folate.
Fruit chips generally contain high levels of fiber and are a good source of antioxidants, especially polyphenols. Polyphenol antioxidants are associated with health benefits such as improved blood flow, better digestive health, less oxidative damage, and reduced risk of many diseases.
Some things you should know about the nutritional value of dried fruit
- Several studies have shown that people who eat dried fruit weigh less and get more nutrients compared to people who do not eat dried fruit.
- Dried fruits are a good source of many plant compounds including powerful antioxidants.
- Among the nutritional values of fruit chips is its natural laxative effect. Many dried fruits, including pitted prunes and dried apricots, have nutritional value that helps prevent or eliminate constipation.
- Another nutritional benefit of fruit slices is that it makes you feel full very quickly and does not raise blood sugar quickly.
- Dried fruits prevent oxidation of LDL cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
- By consuming dried fruits, fiber, iron and many essential compounds are usually provided to the body in a natural and herbal way.
- Among snacks, dried fruits are considered to be the richest sources of antioxidants that help reduce oxidative damage in the body.
One of the most important things that can be mentioned for the nutritional value of fruit chips is natural sugar and calories. Fruits contain large amounts of natural sugar. As the water inside fruit dries and evaporates, all the sugar and calories are packed into a much smaller volume than fresh fruit. As a result, dried fruits contain a lot of sugar and calories, including glucose and fructose.
The nutritional value of sweet fruit chips is higher and they have more energy. When using dried fruits, you should consume them less than fresh fruits, in terms of weight.
The role of dried fruit for health
Eating fresh fruits has many health benefits, but compared to dried fruits, there is a huge difference in the nutritional value of the two. In some dried fruits, we find even more nutrients such as fiber, carbohydrates and protein compared to fresh fruits. For example, raisins and fresh grapes have similar protein and fat content, and the comparison of their nutrients is as follows:
- Raisins contain about 3 grams of protein and 1 gram of fat
- Fresh grapes contain 1 gram of protein and a small amount of fat, both in per 100 grams
- Raisins contain 62 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams, compared to grapes, which have only 16 grams per 100 grams.
- Raisins contain more fiber at about 3 grams per 100 grams compared to grapes at about 1 gram per 100 grams.
In general, since dried fruits contain less water than fresh fruits, they have more nutrients than their fresh forms. They are usually richer in most vitamins and minerals per 100 grams. It is also significantly higher in calories per 100 grams.
How to choose the best dried fruit?
It is better to pay attention to its standard labels when buying dried fruit. It is better to use a bulk dried fruit product that is produced without the addition of additives. Fortunately, Armani Food dried fruits are produced naturally without any additives. Monitoring this makes consuming dried fruit beneficial for your health.